- Lightly brush your teeth to remove any external debris.
- Place a dot of whitening on the front of the trays starting from the teeth in front of the molars from one side to the other. It is recommended to only whiten the teeth you see when you smile in the mirror! This way you’re able to preserve material for more uses.
- Place teeth whitening tray over the teeth. Gently press tray to move teeth whitening gel into place. Pressing too firmly will force gel out of tray.
- Your first session of whitening should be 30 minutes. If you do not experience any sensitivity after, each consecutive session add 15 minute increments up to a total of 75 minutes.
- Upon completion, rinse multiple times with water to eliminate excess.
- Brush trays with soap and water and store in container.
- Refrigerate whitening gel after opening.
- Repeat steps 1-6 for 3-5 days for optimal whitening.
- Every few months or before an event, whiten for 2-4 days to maintain longevity.
- Avoid dark foods and liquids for 24 hours after whitening. Utilize a straw if “must have.” A good rule of thumb is if it could stain a white shirt, it can also stain your teeth. These include:
- Dark sodas
- Red wine
- Red sauces
- Soy sauces
- Dark berries
DO NOT DO:
- Do not sleep in your trays. You will experience extreme sensitivity. Our material is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than over the counter whitening.
- If you feel any “tingling, burning, or discomfort”, remove trays immediately and rinse with water until material comes off.
- Certain areas of your gums may turn white. This means you burned your gums and it will go away in 24-48 hours. Next time use less material to avoid this.
- Do not use any harsh chemicals or abrasives to clean your whitening trays. This will decrease the longevity of your trays and may pose harm to the teeth or oral cavity.
- You may feel some sensitivity that is increased with hot or cold. This should subside over the next few days.
- Avoid desensitizing products that contain stannous fluoride (Gel Kam, Omni Gel, PerioMed, Plak Smakers, FluoriSHIELD, and Gingi Med) for about 2 weeks. Check your toothpaste ingredients as well for stannous fluoride.
- Avoid smoking during and immediately after whitening treatments. Nicotine leaves brown deposits which are difficult to remove.
- It is important to continue brushing and flossing to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Use a soft bristle toothbrush and gentle pressure when brushing. Avoid “snapping” the floss on your gums; use a seesaw motion to ease the floss between your teeth.
IN CASE OF A TRUE EMERGENCY AFTER HOURS, PLEASE CALL OUR EMERGENCY RESPONSE LINE: (813) 334-5432 Please contact our office directly during normal business hours for routine postoperative questions.
If you ever experience difficulty in breathing, swallowing, or a feeling of throat closure, please go straight to the emergency room or dial 911. After admission and stabilization, please contact the office.
We are grateful for your trust to perform these procedures and wish you a speedy recovery. If any other concerns arise, please do not hesitate to contact the office.